Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tiramisu


For the past four years I have been part of a cooks club that is made up of a group of wonderful women brought together by their love of great food and a need for a ladies night out!  We meet every other month at one of our homes and the hostess sets the theme which we must all follow.  We have had crock pot night, vegetarian night, country cooking, mardi gras, BBQ, etc.  Everyone makes a dish within the theme and brings the food along with their recipe to share with the other ladies!


This month our theme is "The Twelve Days of Christmas".  I snagged "Nine Ladies Dancing" and decided to make a dessert with Ladyfingers.  I know it was the obvious choice but I don't care...I  LOVE Tiramisu and I had to make it!  How can you not love a dessert that has cheese, alcohol and chocolate in it!!


I kept the name Tiramisu even though the name should reflect "Nine Ladies Dancing".  What can I say...I used all of my espresso in the Tiramisu and didn't get my caffeine jolt to get the brain working this morning!  If anyone has suggestions for a cute name....leave a comment and let me know!  I'll let you all know which name I decide to use tonight!



Tiramisu

1 ½  cup brewed espresso coffee
¼ cup Kahlua
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup sweet Marsala
5 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
1 pound mascarpone
1 cup chilled heavy cream
36 ladyfingers
Bittersweet chocolate bar

Stir together espresso, Kahlua, and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside. 

Beat egg yolks, Marsala, and 1/2 cup sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of  simmering water using a whisk or handheld electric mixer until tripled in volume, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove bowl from heat. Beat in mascarpone until just combined.

Beat cream in a large chilled bowl until it holds stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture gently but thoroughly.
.
Dip each ladyfinger into coffee mixture (quickly so that they do not become too moist) and arrange in a single layer in the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.  Spread half of mascarpone filling evenly on top of ladyfingers.  Using a fine grater, grate the chocolate bar to cover the mascarpone (as little or as much as you like).  Repeat with a second layer of dipped ladyfingers and the remaining mascarpone filling. Finish off the Tiramisu by grating more chocolate over the top to cover.

Chill for at least 6 hours before serving.

Variations – Can make in trifle bowl and make three layers instead of 2.  Can grate a mixture of white chocolate and dark chocolate between each layer.  Can use a dusting of cocoa powder on Tiramisu instead of grating the chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. We'll be dancin' after we eat it! - Anonymous Calli

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I think? I think I would like to place my order

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time reading this blog thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete