Friday, February 17, 2012

Speculoos, Speculaas, Biscoff- It's all good!!


I have a very good friend who is Dutch so we experiment with many Dutch recipes to bring him a little slice of home.  One of the recipes is for Speculaas Cookies which is a spice shortbread type cookie (you may know them as "Windmill Cookies") made each year on the eve of the feast of Sinterklaas, December 5th.  I will make these cookies for you some day soon as I have finally perfected them!  

Anywhooo....the point of the story is that I became hooked on these speculaas cookies and was pleasantly surprised to learn that Trader Joes makes a spread called "Speculoos Cookie Butter" which consists of ground speculaas cookies and is DELICIOUS!!  I have been eating it by the spoonful and I am completely addicted!  


Though I do enjoy eating this delicious spread right out of the jar I thought it might be fun to make something with it.  I could spread it on a bagel or bread or pancakes, cupcakes (which I will make soon) OR I could make cookies!!  It seems funny to make a cookie out of a spread made from ground cookies, but I'm funny....so there you go!  This spread is a fabulous alternative to peanut butter (for those of you with allergies) and Nutella and should work pretty much the same in any recipe using those products.  

I found a recipe for Biscoff spread cookies on "Bake at 350" and since Biscoff is supposed to be a spread similar to the Speculoos, I tried it!  This recipe makes a cutout shortbread-like cookie that is really good and tastes of the Speculoos spread but is even better with a little Speculoos glaze drizzled over the top!


Speculoos Shortbread Cookies

2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt 
3 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 stick salted butter, cut into chunks
1/2 c. Speculoos Cookie Butter 
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. heavy cream

In a medium bowl, whisk together the baking powder, salt and flour.  Set aside.

In a large bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, Speculoos Cookie Butter, and sugars using a paddle attachment until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and beat well.  Beat in the cream.

In three additions, beat in the flour on low until combined. Divide the dough in half, shape into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling.

Preheat oven to 350.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

On a floured surface, roll the dough with a floured rolling pin to about 1/4th inch thick.  Place shapes on the prepared cookie sheet and chill in the freezer 5-10 minutes.

Remove from freezer and bake 8-12 minutes, depending on cookie size.  Cool on sheet 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.

Recipe adapted from Bake at 350.

7 comments:

  1. I WISH we got cookie butter over here..

    Though it would probably be very dangerous as I would just eat it with a spoon.. and a nice glass/bottle of pinot grigio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame that you can't get this delicious spread.

      It is so yummy by the spoonful and a nice glass/bottle of wine but I'm thinking a nice pinot noir would be a better pairing! In the interest of broadening my knowledge I will gladly sacrifice myself and conduct a study!

      Delete
  2. I've been dying to try TJ's cookie butter but every time I go they are out! THese look great!
    ceecee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you get to try it soon....you will love it! I am excited to think of all the different recipes I can use it in, but I'll probably just continue to eat it out of the jar with a spoon!

      Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. where can i buy this butter from the uk???
    looks munchhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. feel bad saying this but your cookies look even better than bridges!!! she's still genius and all considering she invented the cookie but yours make me know for sure that i want to make these. especially since i just bought 3 jars of biscoff spread and 2 jars of speculoos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! You will have to try them, they were yummy. Although, it is also yummy to eat the stuff right out of the jar!!

      Delete