Friday, February 3, 2012

Super Bowl Football Cakepops!


My son, Zack, is a huge Patriots fan and I wanted to surprise him with Football Cake Pops to enjoy during Super Bowl this weekend.   I just learned how to make cake balls and cake pops last weekend when the kids and I were visiting my brother and nieces in Arizona.  They were so much fun to make and even more fun to eat!  I do not have an actual recipe for the pops but I can tell you how I made them and give you some tips that helped me!


Pick any flavor of cake mix you like and prepare it according to the directions on the box.  When the cake is still warm crumble it into a bowl and add a tub of your favorite frosting flavor (mix and match any flavors you like, I chose white cake with white frosting).  Mix the cake and frosting until it is completely smooth, then stick this mixture into the refrigerator for about an hour to make the cake mixture easier to work with.  Roll the mixture into balls or desired shape and place onto parchment lined baking sheets and stick back in the refrigerator.  I found these balls much easier to work with if they were really cold.  


I went to our local craft store and picked up candy sticks and candy coating.  They have tons of  different colors of candy coating to chose from.  I chose dark chocolate for the footballs but I picked up some fun colors for another time (I'm thinking pink cake pops for Valentine's Day)!  I also picked up a tube of white decorator gel to make the strings on the footballs.  Melt a small amount of the candy coating and dip the stick into it about 1/2" deep, then stick into a cake ball and stick back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so.  This will glue the ball to the stick so it doesn't slide off of the stick.  Melt your candy coating in small batches, I melted mine in a coffee mug in the microwave.  Dip football pops into candy coating and let excess drip off into the mug.  When the cake pop stops dripping you can stick them into Styrofoam to dry, this is a great way to store the cake pops as well.  Once completely dry, decorate as desired and enjoy!  I stored my cake pops in the refrigerator but I imagine you can store them at room temp as well.


Enjoy these yummy and adorable little footballs!!  Below are some pictures of my nieces teaching me how to make cake balls last weekend!  We had so much fun baking together and making a mess in the kitchen, even more fun was eating our yummy treats.  Cake balls and cake pops are a great project for the family!






23 comments:

  1. Those footballs are so cute! Thanks for the walk though on how to make them. If you can believe it, I've never even attempted the balls or pops. I'll have to now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! I never knew you could mold them into whatever shape you wanted, I always thought I had to buy an expensive mold, I love that! Very cute recipe :) I'm sure son is going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom Chef! I hope you do give them a try! I think they are easy once you get the hang of it, just make sure to keep the cake mixture cold! Let me know how yours work out!

    Becky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristina,
    Thanks a bunch! I have even seen people shape them into squares, not sure I'm willing to put that much effort into it but the footballs were easy! Glad you enjoyed them!

    Becky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, they are super cute. I am going to try Basketball pops for my son's playoff games.I was super nervous to try, not being a bakerand all, but with all you great tips I feel confident that it will be a breeze, thanks for sharing all your of your secrets with us !! YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!!! Hope your basketballs turn out great, let us know!!

      Becky ;)

      Delete
  6. How cool are these?! Really imaginative! and a belated well done on the award! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lin! This is as close as I come to liking football! Glad you enjoyed the post!

    Becky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so creative. I have never eaten or made a cake pop. I really need to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Perfect for the super-bowl:) Here is my version of cake pops -
    Moist Brownie Cake Balls

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Girl Cook- I love your Brownie version! I will be trying those soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure, and I am sure you will love 'em as much as I did

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I awarded you a special surprise on my blog, http://whippedbaking.com/2012/02/04/individual-chocolate-cream-pies/. Love your recipes!! Happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! I am honored that you think my blog worthy of this award! I love blogging and I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes and my ideas! Looking forward to sharing recipes with you in the future! ;)

      Delete
  13. Your cake pops are awesome! I found your blog through Kristina's blog. Happy to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! Welcome! I will have to check out your blog too. Looking forward to sharing recipes!

      Delete
  14. Precious! I made cake pops for the first time this weekend for a friend's little girl's bday party. They are NOT easy! LOL
    You did a great job with these :)

    --shelley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ava is requesting cake pops for her birthday treats in kindergarten. Going to do a practice run this weekend for the real event in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the tips, Becky. Have been nervous about trying them until now.
    xoxo
    Allison Sotelo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! I can't wait to see how they turn out...don't forget to post pictures on FB!!!

      Becky

      Delete
  16. I love these little footballs!!! What fun!! I never knew how to make them with a cake pop maker, great tip on glueing the cake ball to the stick:))
    Hugs

    Pinning!!

    ReplyDelete