Friday, April 6, 2012

Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cupcakes


Happy Friday everyone!!!  I am gearing up for a busy weekend of Easter baking but I wanted to give you all these very yummy cupcakes I created yesterday!!  I made these for a friend's Birthday and his only request was that they be something fantastic...I'm pretty sure I achieved this!!


The chocolate cupcake recipe is the same I have used in the past from Martha's Stewart's Cupcake book.  I didn't add anything special to them but I may add a touch of Chambord to the batter next time, just to tie the whole cupcake together.


The filling is what I would make for any ganache or truffle filling.  I used a good quality dark chocolate and cream but added a touch of raspberry preserves and Chambord to give the truffles a hint of raspberry flavor.  I let the filling thicken at room temperature but be careful not to let it set too much or you will not be able to pipe it into the center of your cupcakes.

The frosting was a last minute quicky buttercream to which I added Chambord and a touch of pink food coloring.  You can actually taste the Chambord in the frosting and it is really yummy.  Great frosting to pair with the rich cupcake!


I finished this fabulous cupcake with a fresh raspberry....voila.....BEAUTIFUL!!!

Hope you all have a fabulous Easter weekend filled with good times, great food and yummy desserts!


CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY TRUFFLE CUPCAKES
Makes 24 cupcakes


The Cupcakes (Martha Stewart's recipe):
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup warm water

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add eggs, buttermilk, oil, extract, and the water; beat until smooth and combined.

Spoon the batter into liners about two-thirds full. Bake approximately 15 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Transfer tins to wire racks and allow to cool for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 1 month in air tight containers.

Raspberry Truffle Filling:
8 ounces chopped dark chocolate
2/3 cup cream
2 tablespoons seedless raspberry preserves
1 tablespoon Chambord

Finely chop the chocolate and transfer it to a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream until simmering and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then, using a rubber spatula, stir it until smooth. Add the preserves and Chambord and stir until combined. Let the filling cool until thick but still soft enough to be piped.

Chambord Buttercream:
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons Chambord
food coloring (optional)

In an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk the butter at medium speed until light and fluffy.  Turn speed down to low and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time.  Slowly add in the Chambord and beat until incorporated, if adding food coloring do so at this time.  Turn speed up to high and beat until nice and creamy.

To assemble cupcakes:
Use a paring knife to cut a cone-shaped piece (about 1/2 inch deep) from the center of each cupcake and throw away the pieces. Spoon or pipe the raspberry truffle filling into the cupcake.  Frost with Chambord buttercream and top with a delicious raspberry!!

Enjoy!!!

17 comments:

  1. Ooooh, truffle cupcakes? I am so in! They look wonderfully dark and moist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiri! They are yummy and sadly...they are all gone!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, just beautiful! I love the flavors in this, chocolate and raspberries together are just the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kait....I think raspberries are my favorite fruit to pair with chocolate!

      Delete
  3. Oooh... I have some Chambord that I've been wanting to use and I think I found the perfect recipe! :-) Cupcakes and truffles, are you kidding me?!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I have never used Chambord before but I am a new convert....LOVE it!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful cupcakes! That frosting looks and sounds delicious. You are a great friend to whip these up for a birthday celebration. I hope you had a marvelous Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! These were for a very special friend...worth all of the effort! :)

      Delete
  5. Everything about these cupcakes is lovely and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look awesome. i tried a similar recipe that tasted great but your pics are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! The photographs are the toughest part of blogging, I am really trying to improve but it is not easy! :)

      Delete
  7. These are absoolutely too cute! They look and must have tasted absolutely fabulous :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course this is fantastic...I am thinking of what to make for daughter's birthday. She said she wanted a cake because she wants to make a wish. But she said she wanted homemade cupcakes too...SO the cake, I'd let her dad take care of that. But the cupcakes, I just found the perfect recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look awesome! i love chocolate and raspberry together, they're one of the best combination! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cupcakes sound like a winner! I love the fruity tones of the raspberry mixed in with the chocolate =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Raspberry and chocolate were made for each other!!

    ReplyDelete