Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies Treats


Who didn't LOVE Rice Krispies Treats growing up?  I sure did!  So much so that as a teenager I would make them all the time and even experiment with different cereals and marshmallows.  My favorite experiment was Lucky Charms Treats....a bit over-the-top sweet but really YUMMY!!  As a grown up I started making good old fashioned Rice Krispies Treats for my boys.  Luckily they love them as much as I do and they are ok being taste testers for my silly experiments and creations!

Yesterday was an exciting day in my household.  We were going to watch Venus travel on it's path in front of the sun.  This is the only time in our lifetime we will witness this and the boys and I were excited to watch!  Our neighbors have this really cool welder's lens that allows you to look directly at the sun and see Venus make its journey, without harming your eyes (minor details  LOL ).  They shared it with us during the recent Solar Eclipse and we were excited to have the opportunity to use it again so soon!  

So, the boys invited a couple of people over and I invited a couple of people over to view with us and the next thing I know, I've got 12 people coming to view Venus and I can't have people over without feeding them!  I made a big pot of sauce for dinner and I wanted to do something fun for dessert.  Hmmmm....what could be more fun than a Rice Krispies Treat?  Jenny, at The Picky Palate had a recipe for treats using Reese's....need I say more?


These yummy treats are too good to pass up, even for grown-ups!


My tip for you all when making any treats using marshmallows....spray everything with non-stick spray!  I spray all of the bowls and my spatula or wooden spoon before I even start.  This way all of your rice krispies go into the bars and don't stick to the bowls!!  :)


Start with a layer of your basic Rice Krispies Treat (you could mix it up a bit and use Cocoa Krispies).....


Then melt peanut butter, mix in some chopped peanut butter cups, and spread on top.  Spread a layer of melted chocolate over the top of that and wait for it to set....or don't, some people have no self control!  Pretty sure these were a hit (people started eating them all before dinner was even ready)!!


Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies Treats

6 Cups rice krispie cereal
1 large bag mini marshmallows
1/4 Cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Cups creamy peanut butter
50 mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, quartered
1 1/2 Cups melted chocolate to drizzle

Place cereal into a large mixing bowl, set aside.  Place marshmallows and butter into a large bowl and microwave until puffed up, about 3 minutes.  Add vanilla and stir.  Pour over the cereal, mix to combine then pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish and press to make even.  Melt peanut butter until nice and runny, about 45 seconds.  Pour in quartered peanut butter cups, stir gently then pour over treats.   Drizzle melted chocolate over top and smooth top with an offset spatula.  Refrigerate to set.

Enjoy!

Adapted from The Picky Palate

Recipe Shared On:

7 comments:

  1. Would totally eat these instead of dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love rice crispy treats, and these are a great variation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily!! I love them plain, but it is so much fun to "dress" them up!

      Delete
  3. G'day! YUM! I could go for one right now!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of the Foodie Friends Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete