Monday, September 17, 2012

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes



I did it, I did it,  I did it!!!  I have been wanting to make Snickerdoodle cupcakes for the last 3 years, ever since I saw the recipe in a Martha Stewart Cupcake Cookbook.  My youngest son, Max, LOVES snickerdoodle cookies and I really wanted to make them into cupcakes for him.  These cupcakes have been on my "to do" list for so long that I really thought I would never make them.

I decided to make the cupcake Martha's way for my first try.  I read all of the reviews I could find and everyone loved her cupcake but wished they had used a different frosting.  The suggestion was to go with a cream cheese frosting rather than her seven minute frosting.  I LOVE cream cheese frosting but I'm also a big fan of seven minute frosting.  Such a dilemma!!  I think the problem really isn't seven minute frosting so much as HER recipe for seven minute frosting.  I find it to be lacking, not sweet enough and not enough vanilla flavor.  Mine tastes very much like marshmallow fluff and I can see that being perfect with a cinnamon cupcake.  But I decided to follow the reviews and go with a cream cheese frosting with a hint of cinnamon in it!

The second time I baked these (also known as the "perfect time") I used my vanilla bean cupcake recipe but omitted the vanilla beans and added cinnamon.  Very light, fluffy, and delicious!!  Perfect with my frosting and it tasted very much like a Snickerdoodle!!!  These cupcakes did not last long at the party!

I can see Max requesting these cupcakes all the time (he did eat two in a row, even though he "doesn't like" cupcakes)!

Enjoy!!

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

The Cupcake:  (recipe adapted from cupcakeproject.com)
Yield: 16 cupcakes (I doubled it to get 32)

1 cup (225 grams) granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups (175 grams) cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup (75 grams) full-fat sour cream
1/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil (60 ml)
1 tablespoon pure (not imitation) vanilla extract
2/3 cup (160 ml) whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Add the sugar and mix until well combined.  Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes.  Because there is so little butter, you'll end up with a very fine crumb texture.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined.  The batter will be liquid.  (Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong.  It's supposed to be that way.)

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full, bake for 14 minutes and then test to see if they are done. They are done when a toothpick comes out without wet batter stuck to it.  When the cupcakes are done, remove them immediately from the pans and cool on a rack.


Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:

8oz Cream Cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 cups Powdered Sugar

Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth, add the vanilla and cinnamon and beat until mixed in.  Add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.

Assemble Cupcake:

2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

To finish, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry bag fitted with a tip, pipe frosting on each cupcake. Using a small, fine sieve, dust peaks with cinnamon-sugar.

This recipe shared on:
Lemon Sugar
Foodie Friends Friday
My Turn For Us: Linky Party





7 comments:

  1. Yum...drool...love a snickerdoodle. You think up the best recipes. They sound absoluately yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa!!! I think they are fabulous, couldn't stop eating them!

      Delete
  2. The idea of eating snicker doodles in cookie form suddenly seems so inadequate my friend ;)
    These are incredible!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CCU! Hope your studies are going well...miss your funny and wonderful posts! :)

      Delete
  3. Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with a Marshmallowy frosting? Can I have a dozen please?? :D These look so awesome and it's so weird that I have been craving snickerdoodles so badly that I have a post for Thursday on Snickerdoodle Muffins :O

    We should just have a week dedicated to the deliciousness that is Snickerdoodles. Your cupcakes, my muffins, and a whole bunch of cookies!

    ~Jess @ OnSugarMountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess - Can't wait for your post....we are cinnamon sugar addicts in our house and I'm pretty sure a Snickerdoodle Muffin wouldn't last long before being devoured!

      I couldn't agree more...we should make our own National Snickerdoodle week so that we can keep making all of these yummy concoctions!! :)

      Delete
  4. What's better than a Snickerdoodle Cookie? Uhhhh...a Snickerdoodle Cupcake!
    Thanks for bringing it to our party at Foodie Friends Friday!
    Tracy @ www.busyvegetarianmom.com

    ReplyDelete