Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes


Monday night the boys and I headed over to Fenton's Creamery.  Fenton's has been in Oakland for over 100 years and has the best ice cream sundaes around!  I have been visiting since I was a little girl and continued all through college and now I take my kids there.  Both of my boys were born in a hospital down the street from the creamery and my only request after each of their births was for an ice cream sundae, which my Mom hand delivered to the recovery room (snuck those suckers right past the nurse's station!)


They have all of these crazy sundaes with wild mixtures of flavors and fun names, but for me it's all about a single scoop hot fudge sundae.  I don't need anything super fancy, just really good ice cream and LOTS of hot fudge and of course, the cherry on top!


I came home Monday and couldn't stop thinking about how much fun it would be to make a cupcake that looked like a sundae.  I could make a fudgy cupcake to resemble the scoop of chocolate ice cream; the vanilla swiss meringue buttercream (big shocker) would look like whipped cream but taste more like a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream; drizzle homemade (or store bought) caramel sauce and homemade (or store bought) fudge sauce over the top and add a cherry!  VOILA....Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes!


I think these are the very epitome of a celebration cupcake, they just look so fun and festive!  Um...they are also irresistible, the boys and I actually ate them  before dinner!  What?!  There's nothing wrong with that!  Cupcakes make fabulous appetizers!  Really....trust me....I'm starting a trend!


Just look at how cute they turned out!  Don't you want to make some??

Photobucket

Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes

The Cupcake:  via Barefoot Contessa At Home

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 tablespoons brewed coffee
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup good cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix only until blended. Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it's completely blended.

Divide the batter among the cupcake pans and bake in the middle of the oven for approx 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.

Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream:


5 large egg whites
11/2 cup sugar
4 sticks butter, diced and softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 150 degrees F while whisking constantly.

Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium speed until mixture cools and doubles in volume, forming stiff peaks.

Add butter in one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate.. The mixture may appear clumpy and almost curdled looking-this is normal. Keep mixing (may take a few minutes on high) and it will become even and smooth again. Add salt and vanilla and mix to combine.

Assemble Cupcake:

Frost cooled cupcakes to look like whipped cream.  Drizzle hot fudge sauce and caramel sauce  over the buttercream and top with a cherry!  Feel free to use store bought sauces or make homemade.  Keep it simple!  :)



Recipe Shared On:
Weekend Kitchen Creations
Adorned From Above - Wednesdays Blog Hop
21st Century Housewife - Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
My Turn For Us - Freedom Fridays
Chocolate, Chocolate, and More - Thursdays Treasures
Foodie Friends Friday

22 comments:

  1. Becky these are ADORABLE! I may be the queen of muffins but you are most certainly queen of cupcakes. I propose an alliance between our two delicious kingdoms :D

    ~jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I love it...I'm Royalty!!! Does this mean I can marry a Prince? I would absolutely love our alliance, my only fear is how much weight I would gain...I absolutely LOVE muffins!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much....I cannot tell a lie...they were DELICIOUS!! :)

      Delete
  3. Y U M!!! These look insanely GOOD!! :) Pinning...thanks for sharing! Have a fab weekend!;)
    -Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I drooled on myself... Like a baby... In need of an ice cream sundae... Cupcake

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are cute cupcakes, but most importantly - they look SUPER DELICIOUS !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I could just eat the screen! These look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I want to do that all the time! It's a good thing we can't eat the screen or I would be huge! :)

      Delete
  7. All of my favorites in one cupcake! What a great combination of flavors. Great photo also!

    Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday. I look forward to seeing what you bring next week!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, these are gorgeous! It so made me smile, the idea of your mom sneaking an ice cream sundae past a nurse's station :) I do love these wonderful cupcakes. Thank you for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul hop. I'll be featuring them in my post tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was way behind in checking my comments. Thank you so much April! So sweet of you to feature my recipe! :)

      Delete
  9. Your cupcakes are adorable and look delicious!!! The cherry on top makes them so cute, too!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good! =)
    Im your newest Pinterest and GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just shared these on Facebook and pinned them!!

    Thanks for being one of Freedom Fridays Five Faves!!!

    Have a great weekend and see you tomorrow at Let's Get Social Sunday!!

    http://www.myturnforus.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Evelyn!! So excited....I just got my button! :)

      See you on the next link!! :)

      Delete
  12. Yes, I do want to make some! Read through your recipe and I'm excited that these cupcakes, frosting and all, are from scratch! Very intrigued by the meringue buttercream...I've never tried that. And your cupcake pictures are so...well, alluring. Thanks for sharing! Lynaea @ EverydayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynaea! I hope you do make them, but a warning....that swiss meringue buttercream is addicting!! :)

      Delete
  13. They look totally gorgeous. I love that! Hm ... I had cake for breakfast this morning. It was alright, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks Christian! Nothing wrong with cake for breakfast! LOL :)

      Delete